I've received some really great advice from colleagues, residents, faculty, and online sources over the last year about the U.S. residency application process and the couples match. I attempt to compile the most helpful tips here and add my own insight (as a Canadian IMG from Saba entering my first choice family medicine residency) as a means to "pay it forward." Choose electives wisely: You can really focus on networking and finding a residency during fourth year. My strategy was to do rotations at hospitals that had a family medicine residency program even if my rotation wasn’t in that specialty. While I was there, I would ask for a meeting with the program director or try to get in on some of the family medicine lectures. I ended up interviewing at 3 places I rotated at plus I received interviews in all 6 states that I did rotations in. For example, I did 6 months of rotations in Louisiana and then received 4 interviews in that state. I was told by a pr...
I just returned from an amazing 2-week trip around Europe. The trip itself was everything I wanted out of it and more. It was a too-quick whirlwind of a tour but I saw just about everything I wanted to see and ate everything I wanted to eat. I ate croissants in Paris and schnitzel in Germany. I rode a gondola in Italy and went paragliding in Austria. And so much more. But what could have been a great trip with amazing sights was made phenomenal by the people on my tour group. We came from very diverse walks of life – different countries and different careers. We had a doctor (a real one, not me), a cop, a nurse, a carpenter, a social worker, a teacher, an accountant... you get the idea. It amazes me how you can meet someone who lives on a different continent than you and just hit it off right away. I felt that the most with Tiffany from South Africa. We roomed together every night and cried together when we had to leave. I have already planted the seed for her to v...
First and foremost - a big congrats out to Daniel for getting a 100% full-year contract as a phys-ed teacher in Pugwash, Nova Scotia for 2013-14! We are now full-swing into block 3. This is supposed to be on par with block 2 for difficulty, but then it is supposed to get a little easier for block 4 and 5. Then we write shelf exams for physio and biochem which are standardized tests. As per my update about different profs and different teaching styles…. It turns out that when we wrote the exam for that one not -so-great prof, my class scored a 69% (a failing grade) on his section. I struggled with it myself, but it turns out that I wasn’t the only one. It worked out that the other part of the exam was written by the paediatrician who is amazing. I’m sure that she is the reason that I passed. We had another new prof today (12 th of the semester). He seems strict (if you leave his 2 hour class to pee, you can’t come back in) but I like his teaching so far. Sara and I...
Comments
Post a Comment