Neurology in Detroit


I always loved the brain. 
It's why I chose to study psychology and neuroscience in undergrad and why I spent all my days of 2010/2011 working in a neuro lab injecting cocaine into rats. And now finally - finally! - I get to tap into that love while doing a neurology rotation. I feel like I am in my element. I love the challenge of a patient presenting with confusion and going through all the reasons behind his symptoms. 

There is a difference between neurology and neurosurgery. Neurologists medically manage conditions like stroke, multiple sclerosis, dementia, meningitis, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, and headaches. 
Neurosurgeons do actual surgery on the brain and spinal cord. 

I am working with an amazing team with an attending physician, 4 residents, 1 other student, and me. I felt welcomed, respected, and valued from the very first week. The patients are divided amongst the team so I get my own patients to see and present and make a plan for and write a note that goes directly into the chart. I feel like I get all the benefits and responsibilities of being a resident but I still have the support of the actual residents to support me if I need any help. The added responsibility makes me a little more stressed out but a lot more rewarded at the end of the day.

I've started wearing my "ugly shoes" AKA my Dr Scholl's shoes more often so my feet dont get quite so sore. Not sure I recognize myself anymore.

The hospital is large but yet so easy to navigate because it was built in an organized way. Even when I am going to a new wing, the hallways are very well labeled and there is often someone sitting at a desk that is willing to help. These things matter when you switch hospitals as much as we do. There isn't a student lounge with is a bummer, but there are computers everywhere (including random ones that you can pull out of the walls) so I am never without a spot to work. The library is large but a little bit like a dungeon. The parking lot we are told to use is actually a short walk across the street so Craig and I were confused about why they told us to take the shuttle back and forth. The answer is that it is not a safe enough area to walk around so we are supposed to take the shuttle or call security if it is after dark. Lovely.


Although Detroit is a considered a mere shell of the collapsed American auto industry, there are some beautiful places dispersed throughout it.

When I was reading reviews on how to navigate Detroit safety, I came across a lot of recommendations like:
Don't bring a purse
Don't wear jewellery
Carry pepper spray
Carry a gun
Walk like you have a purpose
Don't walk through residential areas
Leave a car length space in front of your vehicle at all times
Yep. Great.

But then I explored the city on my own 2 feet and I've realized that if you research where you want to go, it isn't all that bad.

The Adventure Park
Obstacles in the trees

Our first trail - We had to start on the smaller ones and graduate our way up

That obstacle in the upper left corner was the WORST
Took so much upper body strength to scale those triangles

Craig up on the double black diamond trail

Eastern Market
Massive farmers market that filled 5 sheds like this one and all the paths in between them

Downtown Detroit on the Riverwalk
Windsor, Canada on the other side of the water!


GM


Farmhouse Coffee & Ice Cream

Dan's visit
Glow in the dark mini putt

Jennings brothers on the Detroit waterfront 
& The Little Free Library

Windsor and Detroit
On the right there is an abandoned building and a building being re-done
I feel like those parts of the photo represent a lot of the city


Coneys!
Two iconic restaurants in Detroit opened by 2 brothers
We actually saw them featured on the Food Network



The Henry Ford Museum
The bus that Rosa Parks refused to move from

We got to assemble parts of the 100-year-old car


Kennedy's car


The Custard Hut
Ice cream nutella waffle sandwich
Saw this baby on instagram and had to have it

Selfies from the hospital!

Our long term stay hotel room

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Residency Application Advice

Graduation

Vacay north of the border