Getting ready to go

We received our schedule and I am starting with obstetrics!
I am so excited to deliver all the new babies.

I am looking forward to starting so much that the nerves haven't set in yet, but I know they will once we get closer. I mostly worry about not knowing what to treat someone with and/or forgetting something in their management. I feel secure in the thought that I will be monitored particularly closely for the first 6 months and even after that I will have more experienced doctors around me whenever I need support. I was thinking this was a pretty typical response to starting my first big girl doctor job, but after talking to some of my peers, I've realized that we all worry about slightly different things.


We are doing 2 weeks of orientation starting mid-June then start on service beginning of July. Our first year schedule will be 3 months of family medicine inpatient, 1 month family medicine outpatient, 2 months internal medicine inpatient, 3 months of pediatrics, 2 months obstetrics, and 1 month each of surgery and emergency medicine.

 All our vacation time is pre-determined (4 weeks in 1 week blocks plus a week either at Christmas or New Years) which includes one week off and hopefully the holiday together. Maybe I'll travel somewhere cool. Maybe I'll just sleep a lot.

We found an apartment that we are excited about that is 10 minutes from both hospitals. It was recommended by some of the residents in the classes above us. This was the best house hunting strategy for us so that we didn't have to make an extra trip to Orlando to choose a place. 


One minute, you think you have all the time in the world and the next minute, you realize that so much time has passed you by. 
I thought I would be scrounging for things to do during my time off, but it turned out that I had a lot more going on than I expected. This includes taking a board exam (USMLE step 3) before residency starts so that we will have one less thing on our plate during intern year.

Getting ready for residency includes a very long checklist of things to get done. Applying for visas, hospital paperwork, learning modules, and setting up utilities plus all the things that come with being away from home like seeing my doctor, renewing my passport, and getting my taxes done. There will be even more to do during the first week in Florida. Part of me wants to complain but the other part knows that I love all the organization and planning.

Remind me how excited I am when I complain about being exhausted, okay?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Residency Application Advice

Graduation

Vacay north of the border