Block 3

First and foremost - a big congrats out to Daniel for getting a 100% full-year contract as a phys-ed teacher in Pugwash, Nova Scotia for 2013-14!

We are now full-swing into block 3. This is supposed to be on par with block 2 for difficulty, but then it is supposed to get a little easier for block 4 and 5. Then we write shelf exams for physio and biochem which are standardized tests. 

As per my update about different profs and different teaching styles…. It turns out that when we wrote the exam for that one not-so-great prof, my class scored a 69% (a failing grade) on his section. I struggled with it myself, but it turns out that I wasn’t the only one. It worked out that the other part of the exam was written by the paediatrician who is amazing. I’m sure that she is the reason that I passed. We had another new prof today (12th of the semester). He seems strict (if you leave his 2 hour class to pee, you can’t come back in) but I like his teaching so far.

Sara and I have made a Caribbean island bucket list. We have now been on Saba, St. Maarten/St. Martin, and St. Barth’s. The other 2 we definitely want to see are Anguilla and St. Kitt’s. Speaking of travelling... I am booked to leave Saba on August 15th (arrive in Hali on the 16th) and I come back here on the 31st. Mark your calendars. ;)

Our class had a funny little moment in genetics class yesterday. We were learning about human mating patterns and how it isn’t random who we decide to have children with. Humans choose their partners based on ethnic group, religion, geographical region, socio-economic status, etc. Our prof asked us who’s families would be unhappy or at least surprised if we brought home a partner who was visibly different than us. I was reluctant to raise my hand (although I can just imagine my own family's shock if I decided to leave Christianity to marry a Muslim man), but I quickly realized that the vast majority of my class was in the same boat as me. White, black, brown, and asian people all had their hands up. This included people with Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and no religious affiliations. We all shared a laugh and It was so interesting to look around and realize that our families aren’t all that different from each other.

Comments

  1. It was great talking to you today at My store! Thank you for all the tips! Love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Residency Application Advice

Graduation

Vacay north of the border